Minutes of the Classified Staff
April 26, 2017
Meeting was called to order at 2:01pm
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jessica Riddick, Connie Deacon, Gayle Kiger, Francie Dye, Stephanie Keener, Ed McGee, Stephanie Keener, Beth Walkup, Christine Brannon, Twila DeMasters, Deborah Bauer, Debra Short, Kathy Kidd, Cathy Sanders, Connie Sublet, Elizabeth Narehood, Randall Franklin, Russell Dove, Linda Daye, Kimberly French, Jill Markwood, Trina Boyd, Dr. John Capps
A check for $300.15 was presented to Mike Bradford for the Student Emergency Fund. Mike explained that the typical student emergency request is $50 - $250.
Dr. Capps spoke to the group, praising the group’s investment in the college and our students.
Motion to approve the last minutes was made by Deborah Bauer; Gayle Kiger 2nd. Motion passed.
President Francie Dye reported that VGEA dues could be paid using Professional Development fund.
Francie called for Governance Committee adjustments. Gayle Kiger’s term on the social events committee is ending. Deborah Bauer wants to serve on student success as a non-voting member. Vice President Kevin Riley will post the new vacancies as soon as changes are approved.
The proposed schedule for the 17-18 year:
Wednesday dates are:
August 30, 2017
September 27, 2017
October 25, 2017
November 29, 2017
January 31, 2018
February 28, 2018
March 28, 2018
April 25, 2018
A motion was made to approve the new dates by Twila DeMasters; 2nd from Elizabeth Narehood. Motion carried. (Dates are also reported in a Follow Up email from Francie on May 1, 2017.)
Volunteers were called for the positions of Secretary and Treasurer. Mary Canfield volunteered as Treasurer and Connie Deacon as Secretary. A motion was made by Kevin Riley to approve the new officers, with a second from Kim French. Motion passed.
Connie reports that our current funds stand at: $573.61; but this includes the $300.15 that will go to the student emergency fund. A motion was made to pay $150 for our Summer Social at Riverviews, seconded by Beth Walkup. Motion carried. Stephanie and Ken will work on promotion.
Francie reminded us that fundraisers need to be developed for September and November.
Beth will be working with us to develop a paint night for Classified Staff to take place later in the summer.
At this point, we broke up into groups to work on topic for review and planning:
1) Yeah – We got it Right
Comments from the groups:
- Stockings; Fundraisers and scholarships; 1st Friday; Parade; Attendance, Involvement Engagement; Strong Representative for Ad Hoc Committee
- Stayed on time and ended; Organized; Guest speakers w/ good topics; governance committee updates; Time change worked – counseling office
- Fundraisers; Giving to worthwhile causes; Giveaways at each meeting; Refreshments; Structure of meeting/interesting; E-mails and communications outside of meetings; Engaging/Encouraging officers
2) Oops – We Missed the Mark
Comments from the groups:
- Emails are too long; No need for roll call each time; Personnel issues not for classified staff meetings; remain mindful of what is discussed
- Communications on Events; flyers for food pantry, etc.; Need orientation for new to the group (when meetings are, etc.)
- Parade Timing/Communications Earlier Notice/ Better Trailer; this Exercise; Some fundraisers/need to think outside the box; More flyers needed for events; send professors info/ extra credit for parade; Send E-mails (From Dr. Capps) for staff to take time at meeting; Events elsewhere than Downtown
3) Wild Card/ For Next year
Comments From the Groups:
-Different Departments Should have demonstrations in their office; Short Professional Development Tips at Meetings; Alert about benefits changes; upcoming events
- An October Dance (for faculty staff/couples); Fall Picnic for Families; Different Fundraisers; Taco Tuesday, tacos, hotdogs, weenie roast; More students involved in the parade; more notice about events
- More way to engage with students through activities, with other staff; Stress relievers; Build teamwork; Good Foundation; Fundraisers, not too many in a semester, coordinate with other groups; Organize with extracurricular that can be participated in together.
At the end of the exercise, Francie encouraged us to share photos.
Randall reminded us that the spotlight for new benefits was coming out, open enrollment is in May, is shorter and your request must be written.
Ed McGee won the plant door prize.
Meeting adjourned at 3:05pm
Submitted sk, April 2017