Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Compliance Committee Meeting

Minutes September 10, 2014

 

The meeting was called to order by Nancy Mitchell at 1 p.m.

Members in Attendance:

Nancy Mitchell …………………………….. Counseling (Co-chair)

Debbie Harris    ……………………………..Medical Lab Technology Instructor (Co-chair)

Suzanne Cochrane…………………………..Dual Enrollment, Faculty

Linda Daye…………………………………..Human Resources

Melissa Dean……………………………….. Student Representative

Russell Dove…………………………………Chief of Campus Police

 

Members:

 

Jason Ferguson………………………………Program coordinator, BAH

Kathy Kidd…………………………………...Admission and Records

Kris Ogden……………………………………Institutional Effectiveness

 

The meeting was called to order by Nancy Mitchell

 

Debbie Harris agreed to be the recorder for the committee.

N. Mitchell reminded members of the responsibilities of the Compliance Committee, and stated that she and Debbie had discussed some subjects which might be of interest.

 

·         The first topic was that of ensuring that the college is compliant with Material Safety Data sheets (MSDS), an OSHA requirement.

o   N. Mitchell  discovered that MSDS sheets are available and accessible on campus.

o   R. Dove inquired about who oversees the MSDS sheets and chemicals

o   N. Mitchell replied that this is overseen by Dr. Laub’s department (Dean of Science, Math and Engineering Department)

 

·         The second topic was the purpose of the committee (to educate the college community), which led to a discussion about FERPA laws

o   L. Daye asked if this could be accomplished via Knowledge Center

o   S. Cochrane added that this ( lack of FERPA documentation) presents a problem because she is unable to communicate with parents when no FERPA form has been signed

o   N. Mitchell remarked that webinars are available; when she spoke with Will (Sandidge) regarding the feasibility of utilizing webinars, he seemed interested.

o   N. Mitchell also questioned if we could place the webinar partially on Knowledge Center and partially in email.

o   Discussions were held about means of requiring students to access an online link to a 15 minute presentation regarding FERPA. S. Cochrane suggested that it be included in the application process for prospective students. L. Daye remarked that “blocking” the application would not be allowed and that there is no way to enforce enrollment in the training.

 

o   S. Cochrane also asked if there is a way to get high school teachers (who teach CVCC courses) to take the FERPA training?

o   N. Mitchell volunteered to contact Jennifer Almond (Student Services, VCCS) in Richmond to see how this is handled in other colleges.

o   S. Cochrane will contact Lori Dwyer, dual enrollment specialist to get her input**

o   N. Mitchell asked for a vote on whether to proceed with FERPA webinars

§  R.Dove questioned if there were other options ( he had been called out of the meeting during discussion)

§  L. Daye remarked that Knowledge Center may have resources about FERPA which could be made accessible to CVCC

·         R. Dove asked if FERPA info is not sufficient , would Knowledge Center be able to tailor it to the needs of the college

·         L. Daye will check on this and get back to N. Mitchell by Monday (September 15)

·         In an effort to expedite our report to the Governance Committee, N. Mitchell asked for the following:

o   S. Cochrane- a letter designed for counselors to give to parents guiding them to an online resource about FERPA

o   R. Dove – forms or information regarding FERPA issues pertaining to CVCC Police Department

o   M. Dean- A form outlining students’ rights/ concerns regarding FERPA

o   D. Harris to check on available FERPA webinars

 

§  N. Mitchell noted that the assigned Tuesday meeting time was not convenient for several committee members. She asked if Wednesday was an agreeable day.

·         R. Dove cannot meet on the first Wednesday of the month

·         It was agreed that the Compliance Committee will meet on the second Wednesday of the month for scheduled meetings.

·         Due to the need to get information to the governance Committee by November, a meeting will be held October 8, 2014 @ 1pm in room 2203.

 

§  The meeting was adjourned at 2pm.


CVCC - Where Your Future Begins