Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
 Present: Jill Markwood, Sadashiva Godbole, Mary Canfield, Debbie Harris, Michelle Penner, Lorna Nelson, Michael Solomon (student rep)
 
Absent: Barbara Scott, Paul Forest, Ernie Wade, Matt Latimer, John McCullough, Deanne Davis
 
Minutes from the last meeting were reviewed and approved.
 
Jill reported that she will update the Outlook Group for communication and form-sharing and will send everyone an email when it’s ready. Lorna took notes for Barbara today.  Barbara had to be absent cover office due to Ava Connelly’s uncle’s death. Jill agreed to create a new form for student groups to propose activities.
 
Michael Solomon (new student rep who reported he is representing Deanne’s office) proposed two ideas: (1) an impromptu drama group and (2) a sharing session or series of sessions during International Week for international students, faculty, and staff to share stories, culture, and reality checks about their native countries. He agreed to write up more detailed proposals and provide them to the Committee.
 
Last semester’s (Spring 2016) activities were reviewed and discussed, and many ideas were considered, primarily from listings of events for the Academy Center of the Arts in Lynchburg, the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, the Taubman Museum in Roanoke, and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond. Traditional events, including the Student Art Exhibit, a spring bus trip, International Day, and the Raku Festival were also discussed. Dates are needed for all. A trip to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens was also considered, to see the “Living Color” display over the holidays. It was agreed that time is too short for scheduling a major event in September, but Michelle Penner will act as the contact person for a trip to Roanoke for the Greek Festival (sometime during Sept, 16, 17, or 18).
 
Jill reported that she is extremely busy because of the 50th Anniversary celebration, publications and requested help and participation from all committee members. She reiterated that faculty members should consider bringing speakers to campus and proposing the presentations to the committee.
Lorna Nelson proposed a film series for CVCC and the Lynchburg community to show humanitarian art and documentary films that focus on nations other than the U.S. The first in the series would be Timbuktu, a highly acclaimed and visually stunning film about the occupation of the city by an oppressive regime. Jill suggested both a daytime and evening viewing for each film to include students.
Six films over several months, showing at 1:00 and 6:00 p.m. on Thursdays was suggested. It will be held in the MP Room; a film schedule is needed. Lorna will work on the details of this project and contact Mike Fein about film acquisition.
 
Jill requested that members present review the handouts of upcoming events at the institutions/organizations listed above, and send comments to her once the Outlook Group is functional.
 
The meeting was adjourned at 2 p.m. for faculty to attend their classes.
 
Lorna Nelson, Recorder for Barbara Scott

CVCC - Where Your Future Begins