Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Minutes of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee
The meeting was called to order on November 7, 2017 at 1 p.m. in Room 2205.
Members Present:
Susan Anderson, Fazi Arabi, Peter Dorman, Shannon McDermott (Chair), Muriel Mickles, Kris Ogden, Jane Pearson, Gary Randolph, Pam Reynolds (Recorder), and Kevin Riley
Members Absent:
Mike Alderman, Donna Hobbs, Jim Lemons, James Tuite, and Cynthia Wallin
Shannon announced Cindy would not be attending today’s meeting due to a family illness. She also announced James would not be attending due to illness. Pam announced Jim would not be attending due to a previous scheduled meeting.
Dr. Capps was in attendance at today’s meeting.
Meeting Minutes from the September 26, 2017 meeting:
Shannon asked if anyone had any changes to the meeting minutes from September 26, 2017. Peter made the motion to approve the minutes and Gary seconded the motion. Everyone agreed to the minutes.
Old Business:
Report by the (OIESP) Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning from Kris.
Suggestions for changes to Governance Model from Kris and Tom Sparhawk.
Tom did not attend today’s meeting. Kris announced there was no formal data from Tom. She mentioned the term limits and due to so many vacancies the positions are hard to fill. Muriel stated a lot wanted to serve but they did not like moving from committee to committee. Muriel believes if the committees are making good progress with the members they have the committees should not be penalized. Kris will check on making a form for these types of situations.
Review and discussion of final draft of Second Biennium Strategic Plan.
Kris handed out copies of the CVCC Complete 2012: Revised and Resubmitted Second Biennium Strategic Plan for discussion. She stated we were in our 3rd year of the 6-year plan. The #1 goal is to triple credentials. Due to some issues not being as practical and having new issues that worked well with the state and community, the plan was revised and resubmitted. The OIESP have administered surveys and offered sessions; such as, the EAB Navigate. This navigation system will create a road map for the next two years. This will be mapped in four categories, starting with the student’s interest and finishing with the student achieving their goal. We are working to relate to an onboarding process which consist of express applications to making sure the student can arrive to their classes on time. Lewis Bryant has a contract with the GLTC (Greater Lynchburg Transit Company) to help students reach this goal. Our main focus is having the resources to make it easier for the students. It is time for a fresh look!
Susan announced a problem we have with the CVCC Facebook site. She stated there was a negative comment on August 14 due to registration. She asked who addresses any issues on our site. Muriel stated that should be taken care of by Ken Bunch (Marketing Specialist). She will check with Ken on correcting the issue.
Susan also announced a problem with someone in the Counseling Department putting a student in the Paramedic program who was interested in the Radiology program. The student was told she would not be able to apply to the Radiology program because she works two jobs. Susan announced that was not a decision to be made by Counseling. That decision should be made by the Radiology department. Muriel needs to know who the student is and look at the situation. She will need to hear both sides of the story. Susan will follow up with Ashley.
Kris stated this is an example of cultural change. We need to remove any barriers for students by looking at each situation. We need to find out why students are leaving and not returning.
Shannon announced the problem she is having with dual enrolled students. Dual enrolled students are taking BIO 141 and not passing. She understands students who are in the health field having to take BIO 141 but students who are in other programs, could they not take BIO 101 for their science elective. BIO 141 is a lot harder than BIO 101. Muriel believes the General Education classes are chosen within their high school and maybe they are being forced to take 141. Muriel will talk to Ashley Wilson at Campbell County and see if that is the problem.
Shannon also questioned the Bio Tech Certificate. She stated there were no courses in the plan that have to do with Bio Tech. The only course is A & P. Kris stated it was a summer academy program only for the Stem Academy. We would need to talk to Cindy Wallin and Susan Cash about the program.
Fazi asked if there was any way we could do some sort to activity planning. Muriel wants to look at other measurements and not only placement testing. Fazi asked if there practice tests for students who had been out of school for many years; such as veterans, etc. If they are such tests, how are they administered? He suggested training for students who fail the practice tests. Kris mentioned that Cindy and Allison have boot camps where they work with high schools to get students ready for college. Muriel is working with student advising. She needs all the help she can get from faculty.
Kris asked if there were any discrepancies in the strategic plan. Peter mentioned in the 1.3.1 objective it should be Hire and/or train instead of Hire and/train. Kris will fix the error in the plan.
Dr. Capps wanted to compliment Kris and Kevin on their efforts. He believes it is a significant advancement. He is very enthusiastic about the new plan. He commented on how it will help students.
Peter asked Kris about the 4.3 objective to seek accreditation for CVCC’s Dual Enrollment programs from National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP). Kris stated that no one else in the system has this accreditation and if we could secure this accreditation we would be the first in the system. Dr. Capps stated the JLARC report is critical and dual enrollment is being more and more scrutinized. This means we will be leading the pack and he believes that will be important to the students and great for the college and show the faculty doing great work. Peter asked when it would need to be submitted. Kris and Muriel stated the draft would be submitted in January and the final in May.
Gary asked how would you address any roadblocks, for example, students not being able to access through Blackboard. Muriel stated we would have to work with each school division. Kris stated the instructors would have to have documentation not only for this accreditation but also for our own accreditation.
There were no other questions about the strategic plan.
New Business:
At this time, there was no new business.
Shannon will be creating an agenda for our next meeting which will be held on January 9, 2018.
Gary made the motion the meeting be adjourned and Peter seconded the motion. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Pam Reynolds

CVCC - Where Your Future Begins