Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Faculty Association Meeting – October 2017

Meeting Minutes

                                                             October 31, 2017                                                             

I.     Call to order

Tom Sparhawk called to order the regular meeting of the Faculty Association at 1 pm  on October 31, 2017 at Amherst Hall, Room 2203

II.     Roll call

The minutes from the previous meeting were available to all members present.  The following persons were present: Lorenz Chan, Donna Hobbs, Cynthia Lofaso, Juville Dario Becker, Shannon McDermott, Patti Saffioti, Alison Moore, Lorna Nelson, Dennis Phillips, Jessy Hogan, Marc Zoccola, Ernie Wade, William Sandidge, Rick Tyler, John McCullough, David McGee, Gary Randolph, Tim Wilhelm, Ashley Pearson, and Xavier Retnam (Secretary). 

III.     Approval of minutes from last meeting

The minutes from the previous meeting were available to all members present.   The motion to approve the minutes passed with the corrections of the spelling of names.

IV.     Open issues

a)     The question on what the CVCC faculty association needs to do in case of a faculty’s expression of personal opinions in the media.  The discussion ended with the consensus that the association should not ‘police’ these expressions.  No resolutions were entertained on this issue.

V.     Committee reports

a)     Classified Staff get together at the O’Charley’s on Friday, Oct 27, went well.  26 people showed up. Next event may be on Dec 1 or 8.  The place will be determined later.  

b)     Sarah talked about the job fair on Nov 15 from 11 am to 2 pm. She asked the faculty to ask the students to attend.  Lorna suggested extra credit and wanted to get the list of students who attend.

c)     Dr. Mickles talked about the Faculty Advising Program.  It is starting with the CTE program, and then it will be extended to other programs.  Faculty members may volunteer to serve in the Task Force for the Faculty Advising.  Dr. Mickles will send email regarding this. Dr. Mickles said that the faculty makes a difference, not the staff or administration. Ernie asked about the articulation agreement with the other colleges/universities.  Dr. Mickles said that the undecided majors will be advised by the counselors.  There will be a web-tool available to all faculty.  Lorna, Ernie, Cynthia, and Rick volunteered for the task force.  Tom said that we can go to the EAB.com to learn more about advising.  Tom asked to go to the website EAB.com to sign up.  It will tell what classes the students have taken and what they need to take.   

d)     Logan asked whether there is a committee for the Summer Schedule.  Muriel answered that it is the responsibility of the Calendar committee. 

e)     Rick reported on the fine arts committee.  Rick talked about the architect for renovation, and the options or possibilities during the construction, and the ideas for the classroom ideas in the long term plans for the college. 

f)      Tom talked about the daycare center.

g)     David said that the Cultural and Diversity committee has planned a trip to Greensboro, NC to visit the Civil Rights Museum, and the North Carolina museum of arts, on November 18.  He mentioned that the first ‘sit in’ took place in Greensboro, NC, in February 1960.  The trip will start at 7 am and will end at 5 pm.  April did the announcement for the renaissance theatre performance of Christmas Carol, on Dec 8.

VI.      New Business

a)     Faculty expressed the appreciation for the summary of all the minutes of the committee meetings emailed to them.

b)    Tom said that the Brown Bag lunch would continue.  The topic for the next meeting will be ‘team building’.

c)     Tom mentioned the change in the Spring Convocation schedule and the Convocation and the Spring Semester will start on January 3rd of 2018.

 

VII.     Adjournment

Tom Sparhawk adjourned the meeting at 1:55 pm.

Minutes submitted by:  Xavier Retnam

Minutes approved by:  Tom Sparhawk


CVCC - Where Your Future Begins