Facilities, Finance and Sustainability Committee
October 9, 2018
1:00pm Amherst Hall Room 2205
Members in Attendance:
· Ron Parker
· Lewis Bryant
· Beth Walkup
- Peter Dorman
- Tim Wilhelm
- Jeffrey Sydenstricker
- Thomas Turner
- Dennis Phillips
- Catherine Rice
- Cristina Brannan
Minutes from the last meeting were approved with Peter first and Tim second the motion.
- Christina commented that the new drainage areas are working great to which most commented in agreeance. There are still more to do.
- Lower lot is going to be coated, scheduled for October 15th & 16th but waiting to hear back from VDOT for sure.
- Appomattox sign – The company has completed the design. They will be meeting with everyone soon to discuss the details. Ron found a circuit that he believes can be used for outdoor lighting. Getting in touch with the building owners soon. Hoping to be able to go through an existing pole for electrical. This is an illuminated sign that they can change the lettering in and the sign lights up.
- Chancellor is coming to visit on October 18th. There will be extra work done in Merritt Hall. Cleaning carpets, floors, planting mums, etc…
- Lewis explained how local funds work that come from the bookstore. We get about 14% of sales from the bookstore that funds our local funds accounts. If the bookstore drops below $1,000,000, we lose about 5% of the commission. The bookstore is now selling computers to help the revenue. In August they sold $50k in computers.
- Thomas asked about donating the projectors that are being replaced. Lewis said they can be donated to Virginia public schools.
- VCCS has selected a candidate that they are negotiating with for the renovations on campus.
- Replacing lighting on pole lights are complete, buildings are next. The LED lights are a nice improvement. A man lift has to be rented to do this so they will schedule a time when as many can be done as possible while they had it.
- AEP is clearing their right away on Wards Ferry Road. The right away is 30’ but they have cleared about 70’.
- Jeff asked if they can get a quote on striping for the crosswalk at lot 6 and maybe some more parking between Campbell Hall and Framatone. Possibly move Weatherization trailer somewhere else. Possibly lay out the lot differently. Ron is going to get the guy to come so everyone can get together and check it out.
- Brochure racks are going up for the brochures counseling had made.
- Peter asked if we could get new chairs in conference room 5210. It was discussed that much of Merritt needs new chairs.
- Ron applied for money for a new roof for Merritt Hall. Roof & drainage isn’t in good shape. They are currently patching it 3-4 times a year. Bill Price called and talked to Ron several times about it. Getting estimates on roof top unites from the company that replaced Bedford Halls. Would like to do both at the same time.
- Voted Ron to chair. Lewis nominated Ron. Dennis, then Peter second it.
- Voted Beth to recorder. Peter first, Jeffrey second.
- Voted on committee goals & objectives given by Lewis. Dennis first, Peter second.
- Lewis met last week to interviews for engineers and architects. They had 5 interviews. They are in the vetting process now.
- Facilities is working on the gravel drainage project. The equipment was rented so they will be doing more. The gravel has been delivered. This looks nice and is working well.
- VDOT came last week to check the parking lots that they are responsible for. They feel like it will be under $100k for motorcycle lot and under $50k for visitor lot. VDOT has to replace the lower lot due to bus damage. Going to put crack seal to get through the winter.
- Purchased trailer for machine shop. Dennis is working well, still needs power.
- Budget should be approved at the next staff meeting.
- Floors were all done this summer. They look better than in the past. The man over this is so nice to everyone and seems to really care that their company does good work.
- CVCC was approached by AEP that their right away needs cleared. They have a 30’ right away. Going to use one common pole for Verizon and AEP. Working with Verizon to tidy up the right away. Follow exact same path to do this. They are checking with the other land owners as well. The trees always grow towards the lights. Homeowners seem happy to have some of the trees down.
- The city has applied for a grant for 2025 for a traffic circle at Wards Ferry.
- There is a signage study taking place for a digital monumental sign. Estimated cost between $65k - $250k for these signs.
Chair: Ron Parker
Recorder: Beth Walkup
Meeting Began: 1:01pm