Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

November 13, 2017

 
Minutes Approval:
 
Minutes of the October 30, 2017, meeting were approved.
 
Attendees:
John Capps
Mike Bradford
Russell Dove     
Tom Sparhawk
Dianne Sykes
Muriel Mickles
David Lightfoot
Randall Franklin
Francie Dye
Kevin Riley
Lewis Bryant
Kris Ogden
Will Sandidge
Sarah Jarrett
 
 
 Name(s) highlighted in yellow were absent.
 
Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Today (11/13/2017)
Fall
2016
2017
Percent
FTE
2,335.67
2,283.33
-2.24%
Headcount
4,112
4,123
+0.27%
Spring
2017
2018
Percent
FTE
925.13
794.47
-14.12%
Headcount
1,295
1,274
-1.62%
Summer
2017
2018
Percent
FTE
44.00
31.67
-28.03%
Headcount
118
92
-22.03%
 
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
None
 
Agenda Items:
Strategic Plan (Ogden)
Kris had previously emailed a draft of the strategic plan for the second biennium (FY18-FY19)-CVCC Complete 2021: Revised and Resubmitted for the Cabinet members to review.
As there were no corrections or additions, Russell made a motion to approve CVCC’s strategic plan as written and Lewis seconded the motion.
 
The plan was unanimously approved.
 
Revised Accident Notification (FRANKLIN)
Randall reported Human Resources and the Police Department had different accident notification policies. He stated to correct this, he proposed the change written below.
Current policy - All employee accidents no matter how minor are to be reported to Human Resources immediately. For additional information see the Workers’ Compensation section.”
Proposed change - All employee accidents no matter how minor shall be reported immediately to the Department of Public Safety and promptly to the office of Human Resources. The initial report can be made by calling 434-832-7700 at any time on a 24/7 basis. The Public Safety Department will provide a copy of its initial report to Human Resources. For additional information, see the Workers’ Compensation section.
Muriel made a motion to accept the proposed change with David seconding the motion.
The change was unanimously approved as written above.
Divisional Reports:
Vice President of Finance and Administration

Lewis reported during the upcoming spring convocation, Chrome River and Procure-to-Pay follow-up training will be provided.
Lewis stated the VCCS had initiated the paperwork for the renovations of Campbell and Amherst Buildings. He predicted the architects will be hired before the end of this academic year, but probably two years before construction begins.
Vice President of Information Technology
David reported he attended the Information Security Officer’s meeting last week. He stated the colleges will be required to determine what sensitive information (SS#, credit card #) is stored on college/employees’ devices. David stated while the College must keep sensitive information, some of the information dates back many years and is probably not relevant anymore. He stated it would take years for someone to review all of this information but he learned at this meeting that there is software (cost approximately $20,000) available (used by Piedmont Community College) to look for sensitive information and he will look into purchasing this. David stated after identification, all information (electronic or paper) must be documented through the Library of Virginia prior to disposal. He stated this will decrease the College’s vulnerability for a security leak.
David reported he had worked with Deanne and Ron and had decided to change the electrical connections at the tables in the student center to have USB ports. He stated this is relatively easy to do and inexpensive and would be a nice addition for the students. 
Faculty Association
Tom reported Rick Tyler invited everyone to attend his Brown Bag presentation which had been rescheduled for November 27 at 1 p.m. in Room 2123. Tom also stated John’s presentation had to be postponed to the spring semester as he will be out of his office on November 16.
Tom stated discussions continue on faculty advising with about 50% embracing the idea. He stated concerns involved not having time and the extra workload.
Tom expressed a concern about faculty not attending the governance committees of which they were members. John questioned if the deans were aware of this. Tom stated not necessarily as the Annual Performance and Professional Development Objectives (APPDO) allows faculty to opt out of reporting on the objective statement concerning service to the college, as they only have to select four out of the five statements. He stated the APPDO was created by the VCCS. John stated this had to be an oversight because faculty participation is critical to the college. Tom stated the APPDO is confidential between the dean and faculty member. John questioned why couldn’t the chairs of the committees send a report at the end of the year to the dean stating whether the faculty member participated in the committee or not. He stated the minutes should include the members present and the members absent. (It was noted that some of the minutes of the committee meetings were not being posted to Communication Central in a timely manner or not being posted at all.) Kris stated her office is counting on the committee minutes (especially curriculum and instruction committee minutes) to be posted for document compliance. John asked Kris for recommendations to solve these issues. Tom recommended that the College Governance Committee chair become part of the President’s Cabinet. (Tom is the chair of the Faculty Association and also the chair of the CVC.) Sarah stated the part-time staff were not unwilling to serve on committees but just did not have coverage for their jobs to attend the meetings. Muriel stated she felt the classified staff felt the same way. Tom stated some of the faculty are teaching classes during the time of the committee meetings. John reported Will has a special assignment to review class schedules and has discovered all sorts of issues. He stated his belief is the rise and fall of a college depends on its effectiveness of the class schedule for the students. John stated he would not be surprised if the class schedule is not playing a role in the enrollment decrease. He stated Will has already discovered that in some programs, it is not possible for the student to complete all the required courses in a semester according to CVCC’s timeframe listed in the catalog. John stated Will and Muriel will be working with the deans to make the schedule more effective and more student friendly. He stated John Tyler Community College (JTCC) has the highest enrollment increase this semester, and they are using a new software called Ad Astra (higher-education technology company that uses data, software and analysis to help institutions with academic planning, scheduling, etc) that predicts the number of course sessions to be offered and when to be offered for each program. John stated JTCC credits this software along with their marketing strategies for enrollment increases. Kevin stated he had heard the VCCS was looking into purchasing this software. John agreed and stated this would be implemented soon after Navigate. Kevin reported the software uses the SIS to determine the history of when students add/drop classes and predicts forward. David stated he anticipates that Ad Astra will require more data on classroom environments in the SIS to make predictions. He stated for Ad Astra to predict well, CVCC has to input well. John stated Will is reviewing the size of the classroom compared to the number of students. (Example- could teach 25 students in a class but the class is located in a room that only accommodates 20 students) John stated this information is critical if, in the future, CVCC wants to construct new buildings as proof must show that the spaces on Campus are used to the maximum.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris had nothing new to report.
Part-Time Staff Association
Sarah reported on the Part-Time Staff Association and stated the focus this semester will be on getting to know each other better. She stated no fundraisers were planned at this time.
Sarah stated the part-time staff want to know what new initiatives are being implemented here at CVCC.
Sarah also reminded everyone of the job fair which will be held here on November 15.  
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike reported on grant activity and stated a $2 million Department of Education Title III grant (Student Services focused particularly on minorities and low-income students and how to improve their completion rate) had been submitted. He stated CVCC’s grant application received a perfect score of 100 from all three readers. However, he stated there were many schools that scored the same, and a tiebreaker was used to score among these and CVCC did not score high enough to be selected. Mike stated in the coming months the Department of Education may fund additional applications so CVCC could still be selected depending on how far they go down the scoring list.
Mike reported a grant application was submitted to the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the amount of $500,000 for advanced technical education centered around mechatronics and building a mechatronics pipeline.
Mike reported for the past two months, CVCC has not had a grant writer since Jack Freeman retired. He stated he is in hopes of getting a contract with a grant services company signed this week funded through the Foundation. Mike stated this will offer support until part-time funding can be found to replace Jack.
Mike reported on scholarships (awarded almost $581,000 in scholarships for 216 students) and stated the closing date was September 5. He stated this amount was less than last year because there was a decrease in Tobacco scholarships. Mike stated the money was focused on the students that had the greater need (21 of the 26 students that did not receive scholarship money enrolled anyway) and by limiting the credits taken to a maximum of 24 credits (reduced from 30 credits in previous years). He stated some money is still available for this upcoming spring.
Mike reported marketing for the spring semester has begun mainly with the digital pre-roll (video message that plays before the content the user has selected). He stated Facebook advertising, Google ads, and Pandora (170,000 banner ads) are some of the venues for the spring. Mike stated the ads have a code imbedded in them that will provide information on what is working. 
Mike reported on several items that the Foundation is funding which included: $22,000 in repairs for the lathes in the Machine Shop, and provide $10,000 faculty/staff grant (spent $1,000 on training for several that work with international students).
Mike reported on the renaming of Harvard Street and stated the approval is on the agenda of the VCCS State Board November’s meeting. He stated he has been in contact with several agencies about getting the new sign. Mike stated he discovered it is more complicated than just changing out the sign-the new sign must be identical to the one it is replacing. He stated, so far, the specs of the original sign has not been found but hopefully Liberty University has them.
Classified Staff Association
In Francie’s absence, Kevin reported a Holiday Stocking Fundraiser is in progress (accepting money donations through November 30), and Connie Deacon is organizing the Lynchburg Christmas Parade Committee.
Kevin stated the next meeting will be November 29 with Muriel as the guest speaker to talk about student success.
Kevin reported participation has been down about 50% this semester compared to the last semester.
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike reported on grant activity and stated a $2 million Department of Education Title III grant (Student Services focused particularly on minorities and low-income students and how to improve their completion rate) had been submitted. He stated CVCC’s grant application received a perfect score of 100 from all three readers. However, he stated there were many schools that scored the same, and a tiebreaker was used to score among these and CVCC did not score high enough to be selected. Mike stated in the coming months the Department of Education may fund additional applications so CVCC could still be selected depending on how far they go down the scoring list.
Mike reported a grant application was submitted to the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the amount of $500,000 for advanced technical education centered around mechatronics and building a mechatronics pipeline.
Mike reported for the past two months, CVCC has not had a grant writer since Jack Freeman retired. He stated he is in hopes of getting a contract with a grant services company signed this week funded through the Foundation. Mike stated this will offer support until part-time funding can be found to replace Jack.
Mike reported on scholarships (awarded almost $581,000 in scholarships for 216 students) and stated the closing date was September 5. He stated this amount was less than last year because there was a decrease in Tobacco scholarships. Mike stated the money was focused on the students that had the greater need (21 of the 26 students that did not receive scholarship money enrolled anyway) and by limiting the credits taken to a maximum of 24 credits (reduced from 30 credits in previous years). He stated some money is still available for this upcoming spring.
Mike reported marketing for the spring semester has begun mainly with the digital pre-roll (video message that plays before the content the user has selected). He stated Facebook advertising, Google ads, and Pandora (170,000 banner ads) are some of the venues for the spring. Mike stated the ads have a code imbedded in them that will provide information on what is working. 
Mike reported on several items that the Foundation is funding which included: $22,000 in repairs for the lathes in the Machine Shop, and provide $10,000 faculty/staff grant (spent $1,000 on training for several that work with international students).
Mike reported on the renaming of Harvard Street and stated the approval is on the agenda of the VCCS State Board November’s meeting. He stated he has been in contact with several agencies about getting the new sign. Mike stated he discovered it is more complicated than just changing out the sign-the new sign must be identical to the one it is replacing. He stated, so far, the specs of the original sign has not been found but hopefully Liberty University has them.
Director of Human Resources
Randall had nothing new to report.
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Muriel reported on the Retention Task Force which is monitoring a cohort of students by trying different strategies that will keep those students enrolled. She stated a phone call initiative is scheduled for November 20. Muriel stated a retention mapping group is reviewing the College’s processes and trying to simplify the onboarding procedures. She stated work is beginning on a new one-year catalog. Muriel reported on CVCC’s EAB Navigate team who is working on its implementation. She stated this is going to be a wonderful tool for faculty and students. Muriel stated enrollment has begun for the spring semester. She also reported an OER onsite visit will take place at CVCC on Tuesday and Wednesday. 
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will was absent.
Campus Police/Security
Russell had to leave the meeting early.
President
John stated each year the Audit and Consulting Team (formerly the Internal Audit) polls the presidents about what they perceive to be the greatest risks to their colleges. He stated he had been asked to name the three greatest threats to CVCC, and he asked everyone for their opinions which included:
·       Enrollment
·       Morale-losing jobs because of Shared Services
·       Senior colleges
·       Student information
·       Succession planning for those able to retire
·       Limitation of funds and having to prioritize where to spend the money most effectively
·       Disconnect between 2 yr. and 4 yr. colleges
·       Student Engagement/Personal Connection to the College.
The meeting adjourned at 3:09 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting is scheduled for December 11, 2017.
 

CVCC - Where Your Future Begins