Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

December 11, 2017

 
Minutes Approval:
 
Minutes of the November 13, 2017, meeting were approved.
 
Attendees:
John Capps
Mike Bradford
Russell Dove     
Tom Sparhawk
Dianne Sykes
Muriel Mickles
David Lightfoot
Randall Franklin
Francie Dye
 
Lewis Bryant
Kris Ogden
Will Sandidge
Sarah Jarrett
 
 
 
Name(s) highlighted in yellow were absent.
Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Today (12/11/2017)
Fall
2016
2017
Percent
FTE
2,332.73
2,282.33
-2.16%
Headcount
4,116
4,121
+0.12%
Spring
2017
2018
Percent
FTE
1,446.20
1,525.40
+5.48%
Headcount
2,117
2,357
+11.34%
Summer
2017
2018
Percent
FTE
72.80
73.47
+0.92%
Headcount
204
211
+3.43
 
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
None
 
Agenda Items:
Employee Directory (LIGHTFOOT)
David stated the new default access employee review process using the Work Request System had been approved and implemented. He stated many have completed their department review, but for those that have not and need assistance, please let him know and he will be happy to help. 
David reported this review process has prompted questions about student workers. He stated some have asked that the student workers be removed from the listing of departmental employees.  David stated student workers are listed on the departmental directory because they have default access to CVCC information and an email address, and an account is created for every employee receiving a default access request. He stated student employees could be “tagged” were they not listed on the departmental directory, but a means of reviewing student workers to ensure their accounts are revoked would have to be established. However, David stated not all departments have requested to not list student workers. He stated IT’s recommendation is to continue listing student workers instead of creating another process. David stated since student workers are a transient group, this bi-annual process should catch accounts that may be revoked.
Sarah questioned if the student workers could be listed at the end of a departmental directory. David reported at this time the names are listed alphabetically which is an automated process. He stated categories would have to be created to list the names in any other order. Sarah also questioned if there was a way to include the discipline on the directory but David stated that could not be done at this time. Kris stated a list of the program heads and coordinators would provide that information and she would email the list to everyone.
Tom questioned if faculty and staff pictures could be provided on the directory. (He used DCC as an example.) He stated there are lots of people here that he doesn’t know they names. John requested Kris to survey everyone on Campus to determine how much interest employees have in putting their picture on the directory and whether it should be internal or/and external.  
Revised 360° Administrative Evaluation (SANDIDGE)
Will distributed and discussed the revised 360° Administrative Evaluation policy below.
FORMATIVE FEEDBACK
At least once every three years, formative assessment of all administrative and professional faculty members’ performance must be formally solicited.  A sampling of each faculty member’s peers, supervisees, and others at the college with whom the faculty member serves or interacts on a routine basis, will be surveyed including students
and workforce development partners if applicable. This formative feedback is obtained through the use of the Administrative Evaluation Survey per the below schedule. 
Respondents must participate in this process anonymously, and individual surveys should be handled as confidential information. Individuals being evaluated will not have access to the survey forms that were submitted, but a summary of the results of the survey shall be provided to the faculty member, faculty member’s supervisor, and the Human Resources Office after all identifying information of the respondents has been removed. A summary and analysis of the Questionnaire Survey results received during the evaluation cycle, if applicable, may be included in the reporting phase of the faculty members’ self-assessment.
The 360 Administrative Evaluation survey is designed to give dimension to the evaluation of all administrative and professional faculty, including those with supervisory responsibility, by collecting information about an individual’s perceived management style, interpersonal skills, civility, and professionalism in the performance of work activities. All faculty and staff directly supervised by administrative and professional faculty members will be offered the opportunity to complete the Questionnaire Survey. Administrative and professional faculty who do not have supervisory responsibilities will be evaluated by faculty and staff members to whom the faculty member provides a service or with whom the faculty member interacts on a regular basis.
David made a motion to accept the revised policy with Lewis seconding the motion.
The change was unanimously approved as written above. 
Divisional Reports:
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Muriel reported that an issue of the Lynchburg Business magazine has an article on Jim Lemons and encouraged everyone to take time to read it. (Francie stated there will be a full-page CVCC ad in the Lynchburg Business through June of 2018 and a one-half page ad in the Lynchburg Living Magazine in January.)
Muriel stated at last week’s HIRE conference, out of all the 23 colleges, CVCC’s student, Farley Dickey, won a student success award.
Faculty Association
Tom reported the Faculty Association is doing well but stated three or four individuals have negatively commented on Chomps (CVCC food service) as to the availability, quality, and variety of their foods. He stated this concern will be discussed with all the faculty at the next Association meeting. John stated Lewis is working with the owner of Chomps on several concerns. Lewis stated the owner met with the SGA officers recently, and they expressed some concerns as well. John asked that Tom relay to the Association that concerns have been noted and are being addressed. 
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will reported he has been busy working with Muriel on the effectiveness and efficiency of the spring semester. John stated John Tyler Community College (JTCC) is leading the VCCS in terms of enrollment for this fall and upcoming spring semesters. He stated JTCC credits a software called Ad Astra for their increases. John stated Ad Astra is a scheduling software designed to ensure the college is offering their classes at the right times to meet the students’ needs. He stated Will is manually doing what Ad Astra does automatically. John stated the VCCS does have plans to adopt this software sometime in the future. 
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike reported CVCC had received $75,000 from the Stroobants Foundation that will provide eight-to-ten, two-year scholarships for machinists’ students. He stated the College also has NRC scholarships, and hopefully, tobacco ones as well. He stated he will work with Lynn Dillard and Cindy Wallin to get a group of students to apply for these scholarships.
Mike discussed the Employee Campaign and stated kickoff is January 3 during Convocation and will run until mid-February. He distributed a summary (shown below) of the 2017 campaign of the amounts raised.
Mike stated a contract had been signed with JBF Development Services, LLC, which is owned by Jack Freeman who will help CVCC with grant applications. Mike stated Jack has recently worked on the Perkins Grant with Lewis and Patti Saffioti. He stated Jack also worked on the Advanced Technological Education (ATE) application, and reviewed a grant written by John Lofaso. He stated anyone needing Jack’s help can send him an email.
Mike reported several dozen spring scholarships have been awarded, and as there is still money available, please tell anyone needing a scholarship to please apply as soon as possible.
Mike reported he has viewed a draft of the signs replacing the Harvard Street signs. He stated he hopes this project will be completed by mid-January.
John asked if anyone had any ideas of how to invigorate employee giving for the Employee Campaign. Mike stated he welcomed any suggestions. Tom mentioned selling 50/50 tickets but Russell stated this was against state policy. Francie welcomed Mike to come to a Classified Staff meeting and talk about the benefits of giving to the campaign. Kris mentioned that most attendees at Convocation were faculty which may explain why they have the highest percentage of giving. Muriel stated she felt continued talking about the campaign could produce more results. John stated all of these ideas are good but felt more testimonials from the students would help, and leaders of the College could encourage their peers to contribute. Mike stated he will have three students that scholarships were awarded to speak at Convocation.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris reported the strategic plan was approved at the last Cabinet meeting, and it is being sent to the departments so they can finalize their goals within the context of the plan. She stated so far, the plan has been well received, and all plans should be submitted by Christmas break.
Kris stated the SACSCOC Annual Meeting took place last week where a new set of standards was approved at that meeting. She stated writing will begin on CVCC’s fifth-year report using Compliance Assist software (due September 2019).
Kris stated she gave a presentation at the HIRE conference which illustrated CVCC’s new website and the direct link to workforce. Muriel stated Kris’ presentation was highly praised.
Campus Police/Security
Russell reported he is trying to meet the challenge of maintaining adequate staff for 24 hours/7 days a week. He stated he is in the process of hiring a new part-time officer.
Classified Staff Association
Francie reported on the Classified Staff and stated the struggle this year is with engagement. She discussed the following items the staff participated in:
1.     Social event at O’Charley’s
2.     Food drive for CVCC pantry
3.     Collected items for Salvation Army stockings (183 completed today with a goal of 200)
4.     Participated in the Lynchburg City Parade with a good turnout
5.     Muriel Mickles spoke at last meeting
Part-Time Staff Association
Sarah reported on the Part-Time Staff Association and stated they met last Thursday with ten attendees. She stated an education component on various areas of the College is being included at each meeting. Sarah stated at the last meeting, Alison Moore was the guest speaker talking about Professional Development and also the Math Mall. She stated other speakers at prior meetings included Patti Saffioti and career coaches and governance committee updates were given by the part-time members.
Sarah stated good-byes were said to Michelle Fluker who is no longer working at CVCC.
Director of Human Resources
Randall stated the Commonwealth of Virginia has a directive to increase the employment by 5% of individuals with disabilities by the year 2023. He stated each agency has to submit a disability-hiring plan to achieve this goal. Randall stated he welcomed any input on resources and contacts that could be included in CVCC’s plan that is due December 31, 2017.
Randall discussed the Social Committee’s Christmas Luncheon that will be held on Friday and asked that everyone that can to please attend as he will be presenting service awards at this time.
Vice President of Information Technology
David reported IT is trying to get ready for the upcoming semester. He stated William Osborne is currently at the Appomattox Center working with Shentel on the internet speed by a factor of four at one-third of the cost.
David stated he is working with Lewis to notify Lumos Network that CVCC’s contract with them will be ending the last week of February.
Vice President of Finance and Administration
Lewis reported by the beginning of the spring convocation, Amherst Hall will have signage installed at the beginning of each block to help direct students to their classrooms.
Lewis reported on the Amherst/Campbell Hall renovations and stated the VCCS has submitted an application to Bureau of Capital Outlay Management (BCOM) to allow the College to move forward with this project. He stated the VCCS is supplying $800,000 and hopes the state can supply the remaining $200,000. Lewis stated once approval is obtained, the next step for CVCC is to advertise and hire an architect. He stated many faculty have submitted forms for their classroom needs.
Lewis reported he has had some recent reports from students concerning their long wait time (45 minutes) on BlackBoard helpdesk. He will work with David to investigate the reason.
President
John reported the Phase 2 of compensation will be implemented. He stated kudos to Lewis for managing the budgets effectively and Randall for managing the paperwork and being the liaison to the VCCS. John stated the next step will implementing Phase 3 and then the part-time staff. 
John stated he had good news as he distributed the VCCS targets for Complete 20201 Credentials. He stated CVCC has already exceeded its goal of 988 with a total count of 2,853.
The meeting adjourned at 2:27 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2018.

CVCC - Where Your Future Begins