Safety and Security Committee Meeting Minutes
Meeting date: Tuesday, September 27
Meeting venue: Amherst 2307
· Officer Jeff Sydenstricker
· Tim Rhoads, SME Faculty, Recorder
· Ron Parker, B&G
· David Lightfoot, IT
· Lewis Bryant, VP of Finance
· Visitor: Catherine Rice
· The 8/23 meeting minutes were approved.
· The security office is working with B&G to apply 3-digit reflective numbers to all exterior doors of each campus building. For instance, the front door of the Appomattox building will be labelled 101. Moving around the building, the doors will be numbered 102, 103, etc. The numbered buildings/doors will allow emergency personnel (fire, medical, etc.) to easily and quickly identify entry ways with best access to the area of need. All members of the committee were in agreement with this effort. Jeff reported that some institutions have hesitated to install such numbers due to aesthetic reasons. The numbers will be manufactured on site. B&G already has a machine and expertise to accomplish this.
· CVCC security personnel recently met with members of the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) who will facilitate the upcoming active shooter mock-up exercise. The VDEM personnel will contribute expertise, offer insights and critically critique the outcome of the exercise.
· A group of CVCC students occasionally meet on campus to make music. From what we were told, they are very good! So far these musical meetings have taken place in Amherst 2123 and in the multi-purpose room, both of which have pianos. On a few instances, the musical volume has disturbed students in nearby classrooms. David Lightfoot and Jeff are going to work investigate this issue and speak to the group about scheduling times and rooms for their meetings. Lewis inquired about music appreciation classes no campus.
· Catherine Rice attended the meeting to point out that we have no classified staff representation. The group agreed that we should. Catherine volunteered to fill that role.
The meeting was adjourned.