Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Student Success Committee Minutes 10/2/2018
 
Meeting Objectives:
 
1.      Follow up on Community Resource Guides/Title IX holders
2.      Restrooms
3.      Student Center
4.      Phone tree update
5.      CARE Team discussion
 
Members Present:                  Members Absent:
1.      Patti Saffioti              Meredith McLaughlin
2.      Renee Chalmers       Joy Adams
3.      Michael Farris           Matt Poteat
4.      Kimberly French       Teresa Ranson
5.      Matt Naugle              Cynthia Lofoso
6.      Collins Friddle
7.      Thomas Sparhawk
8.      Raylene Cope
9.      Vickie Bowman
10.  Chris Robinson
11.  David Lightfoot
12.  Emma Donohoe Notes:
     We need to figure out a way to get student resource guides to students
     Put them in student center
     The importance of this is emphasized by recent student suicide
     We have an agency willing to help students who need help
     Suicide prevention training is available in November
     Re: starting a care team
     Michael and Patti received training
     Strategic mental health organization partnership to assist with meeting mental health needs for students
     We need to start reaching out to students to train them since students will likely communicate with other students more readily than with faculty and staff
     Can we bring counselors to campus?
     Looking into it and reaching out to local counselors
     We are also looking into ways to train students in suicide prevention
     This is somewhat difficult due to the 2 day training that many students will not have the time for or the desire to sacrifice their weekends
     Can we possibly designate student ambassadors to help/receive training?

     Matt Naugle and Skyler Gutierrez are potential resources available to students for the semester as Clinical Mental Health Counseling interns from University of Lynchburg
     Raylene will check to see who set up visits from the local SPCA at Randolph College to help students stress levels
     We have received a complaint from a student regarding communications issues and customer service due to our inefficient phone system
     Our current phone system is atrocious and antiquated. David has a plan for the new phone tree
     Phone tree will probably have to change in 18 months once it’s been set up. Problem for another day
     Ideally the new phone tree will have a balance between reducing the amount of time people spend listening to automated messages and reducing the rate of people playing phone tag
     We want to move the phone system towards a function basis and away from a departmental basis like we have currently
     Our current system calls the police first, then goes to an automated message, then to the counseling center if no numbers are selected, and then to a voicemail if the counseling office is busy
     Our current message is long and inefficient. Shortening it to be concise and functional is needed for the new system
     Our current system is a potential barrier to student success due to the difficulty with navigation
     CVCC has received a grant
     Is there anything in that grant that we can use to fund this?
     We may need to bring in someone to help with programming the phone tree
     Changes in organization are not reflected in the phone system and adds to problems of miscommunication
     Potential phase 2? Install a go back to main menu function in the phone tree
     Vote: motion to have David Lightfoot as a long term guest for assisting us with the phone tree-- passed
     Have the phone system match the website
     Most organizations have a switchboard to manage phone calls
 
Action Items
     Make Title IX information available to students via the folders in restrooms
     Facilities committee has agreed to set up 5 holders in restrooms in Amherst Hall and the EMS wing to see how well they are received initially
     Matt Naugle will check with counseling professors to see what University of Lynchburg does for students as well as the acceptance center.
     Change meeting time to 1 pm on Thursdays: not passed
     David will find someone to sub for his other committee meeting
     We will play by ear regarding how much time David will be present during each meeting

     The new phone tree will likely take a lot of time outside of meeting times from some members
     David will come up with ideas and submit them to the committee for feedback
     Have a list for most frequent calls that each department receives that are not for their department.

CVCC - Where Your Future Begins